Mother's Day was pretty non-spectacular, but it came and went without much incident. It started out nicely with Jim and Vivien taking me to Saltgrass Steakhouse for dinner Saturday night. Sunday morning, Jim let me sleep in. The only problem is that I still need to eat pretty early, because when I sleep in, I wake up really nauseous. I mentioned breakfast in bed the night before, but when he peeked in on me my eyes were closed so he didn't want to wake me. I was awake, and was unable to sleep too late because I really needed to eat.
He had cooked eggs for me and they were delicious. Then we hung out most of the morning because I was still feeling poorly. We decided we might try the butterfly festival after nap time. I woke Vivien up a little early from her nap to go, but she threw a fit and said she didn't want to leave the house (this is normal for her). I didn't feel like arguing, so I just pouted the rest of the day. Ha ha. I had been cooped up in the house all week since she was sick and I hadn't felt so hot at the beginning of the weekend. I was ready to get out and hang out with my family. But Vivien had other plans. Namely swinging in the back yard and riding her bike. This little center of attention is going to have a dose of reality in about 2 months. That's for sure.
I was pretty annoyed and went on to finish laundry and make dinner. In the evening, I read a thread on my mom's board that really stuck out to me. It was a condolences thread to those who were not "celebrating" Mother's Day, but rather mourning the loss of a child or mother, or have an estranged relationship with a child or a mother. It reminded me that although my day was rather mediocre, my sister-in-law was "celebrating" Mother's Day at her infant daughter's grave. And then I thought of my close friends who have lost their mothers and the pain they must relive every time a holiday like this comes along.
I am fortunate in that I have a beautiful daughter (and soon a beautiful son) that I can touch and hold. I am fortunate that my mother is here (although too far away) and we have a wonderful relationship. It is silly to have any sort of expectations beyond what we have been blessed with. I am grateful for the efforts my husband puts in to showing his appreciation. I am grateful for hearing "Happy Mother's Day!!!!" from my 3-year-old as soon as I emerge from my bedroom. However, I am most grateful for the reminder to not take these blessings for granted. We all need that reality check from time-to-time.
On another note....I went to learn about gestational diabetes today. I got my glucometer and learned how to use it. My educator was wonderful and very informative. I'll prick my finger 4 times a day for a couple of weeks and check for ketones in my urine, as well. We did a prick this afternoon and I was within the normal range, but my after dinner prick was high. That makes me nervous!! Hopefully it will be fine in the morning. If I'm above the normal parameters all week, we'll just assume I have GD and I'll learn the diet. I'm not super excited about the prospect, but it is what it is!
Clutter Rehab is back new and improved!
3 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment